about 2 years ago
– Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 09:39:10 PM
Hi, Rose here. :) Sorry, folks. I got frazzled this morning and sent a Prince's Gambit update to Scion KS backers. I apologize to anyone who was confused or annoyed.
about 2 years ago
– Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 08:48:48 AM
(Rose here. :) Apologies for sending an update to the wrong KS!)
about 2 years ago
– Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 09:01:24 PM
Hi, folks. Rose here, with a developer update from Neall!
Greetings, true believers!
I’ll get the bad news out of the way: Scion won’t make the May date. It’s my fault, and for that, I am sorry. I’ve been trying to coordinate both feedback for some of the pantheon rewrites and the playtesting. The news on both is that pantheon revisions are taking a bit longer than we hoped, especially given the nature of the research involved and the sheer number of pantheons we’re dealing with. Additionally, the rigors of developing a new system and sending it through extended playtesting were more expansive than I expected.
One added bit of complication is how impressive the work of Team Trinity has been – they’ve been developing their game alongside Scion’s, and they made some system changes that are just fantastic for both Scion and Trinity (like Armor adding either Defense and additional Conditions). Danielle Lauzon is an ace developer, so developing another game using the same system in tandem means some ideas are too good to pass up, but they need to be quickly playtested…you get the idea.
I promise you this is a delay of weeks or months, not a delay of years.
In the meantime, though, we’re not just finishing the core — we’re gearing up for the Scion Companion and Bestiary. The Bestiary we plan to release as sections smaller than a chapter, detailing various supernatural creatures from around the World. We’ll be combining them all together as a PDF and PoD book after we have made a good number of them available monthly, so you’ll have a steady series of Scion material to keep your games going. We’ll also be bringing on additional writers and developers to handle sections of Bestiary. The Companion will be released later as a more traditional large hardback book, developed in tandem (but obviously released later than most of) the Bestiary.
So, with that in mind, three previews as an apology: three of the rough drafts from our Bestiary Satyr section, and four of our post-playtesting Purviews (Fire and Forge, Yoga and Geasa). Next time I’ll get you some description of how these knacks actually work in the second edition…
And for the last preview, people have been asking a bit more about the setting and what that implies, and we go into quite a lot of detail about how it works for your games. So, a few thousand words on that. Next time we’ll talk about Myth Levels and what those genres mean for your games.
Click here for the preview.
Update and new preview!
about 2 years ago
– Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 10:25:47 PM
Hi, Rose here. I'll just hand the mic over to Neall for our latest info and preview link.
Greetings, true believers! It's been a while, I know. I've been working hard on redlines, and I'm the biggest bottleneck here. Some of the pantheons have required the use of additional experts, while the second iteration of the playtest received a major overhaul. Just look at some of the changes:
• Momentum is now a group resource. Spending Momentum is now a nomination from other players.
• The advancement mechanic has changed; it consists of player-generated stories and milestones that correspond to mythic tropes.
• Callings have changed to have ratings. Crises can degrade these ratings and change the number of Knacks a PC can have.
• Virtues have changed to a binary continuum; sticking to one end of the continuum grants the Virtuous Condition.
• Followers and Creatures have been added to primarily provided bonuses to the character and expand a PC's capabilities. Relics have significantly changed and simplified,, while Guides have been clarified.
• Fatebinding no longer procs off Legend expenditure or exceptional successes, but instead is invoked by the player or compelled by the SG to strengthen the Bond of the character to another.
• Paths have been streamlined.
• Character generation has changed; Attributes have been clarified, along with a character's Favored Approach.
• Damage has changed to take advantage of the Condition system.
• Various powers have been rebalanced; some Knacks now cost Momentum to use.
There's a lot more in there, and I think the second iteration will definitely kick the wheels of this game even harder. But I know you're eagerly awaiting the text of the game, so as another appetizer, I've chosen a few more sections of the book to preview:
• A few choice Fatebound Roles;
• Two Paths tied to Fate, Prophets and Cassandras;
• The Æsir Signature Purview: Wyrd, which is involved with you guessed it;
• Three Fate-centric Purviews: Fortune, Fertility, and Prosperity.
Enjoy! Until next month, when (hopefully) I'll have some good news to share.
First Scion Update of 2017!
over 2 years ago
– Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 11:17:21 PM
Hello Scion 2e backers!
First off, sorry for the delay with the BackerKit Survey. It wound up that we had to go back and forth more than I had expected.
But, now I do have the Surveys and BK site ready to send out. There's just going to be one more slight delay as the folks at BackerKit have asked me to only send out the Survey to some of you as a test. They are concerned because of the sheer number of you awesome supporters.
Normally, I tend to want to get these sorts of things out to you all as fast as possible, but since I respect the service and site they've created, I'm going to go along and use the link they've provided to randomly send the Survey to a bunch of you, let BackerKit check to see if there were any issues, and then send out the rest of the Surveys Monday if there weren't any time intensive problems revealed by the first batch.
Meanwhile, I have a message from Neall and a cool excerpt for you to check out. Heeeeere's Neall:
"Hey folks! Redlines are flying back to writers as we speak and we're gearing up for the second iteration of playtests. I'll be doing a blog post in early February detailing a lot of the stuff we've gotten back from playtests, and a bit on some of the research our authors are doing for their pantheons. Work is also underway on plotting out all of the stretch goals, including the fiction anthology and large swaths of the Companion. I'm really looking forward to diving into things like the Scion 1e conversion (with bonus Epic Attributes converted to 2e) and the various mantles of other deities. Until then, here's a piece from the rough draft of the setting chapter, on Terra Incognita. Scion: Demigod had them as a feature piece of the World, but honestly, they're too cool for me to wait on, and I wanted them front and center in this edition. Malcolm Sheppard was just the man to write it. Please keep in mind that this is the rough draft of the chapter, without my added redlines. Enjoy!"